Star Sentences - Writing Criteria Cards

I have been setting criteria with my kinders going on 3 years now (have only been in Kinder for 3 yrs), and it is the KEY to their writing success!! With support and after much modeling, students are able to come up with all the criteria needed to have a complete "STAR" sentence (see my post here about setting criteria). Next year, I would love to take up less space, but KEEP using our "STAR" sentence criteria. It is VERY important that students have an easy, quick and constant visual of the criteria when they are writing throughout the day. I noticed recently that another educator is using the star sentence idea: Under the Alphabet.  Since she designed these cards and another educator displays hers like this: The Teacher's Jungle, both made me want to create my own cards to fit the needs of my students and display them using less space. There will always be an extra card each quarter to direct the students to the genre criteria we also set along the way. Star Sentences will be used through the entire year, with additional criteria for Narrative, Informational, and Persuasive writing genres. These genre criterion include all the "content" parts to our writing and are JUST as important as the star sentence criteria {will add another post some time with examples of the criteria students have created for each of the 3 genres}.

You can get these here!



In addition, I will include my Star Sentences Checklist I created a while back. Students color in the star as they self-assess:
You can get these here!


This is the chart I usually create with the students (large & takes up a lot of wall space):



This is how I plan to display my cards (as Diane did at The Teacher's Jungle)

9 comments:

  1. We are your newest followers!! I am so glad we found you. We also made a writer's checklist for our students to use before turning in their work. We made it so it fits on the back of their nametags so they have it right there with them. :0) Come check us out if you get a chance! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much for visiting ladies - wow - love the idea of the name tags!!! coming over to join your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!! I am your newest follower!! I would love to have you visit my blog when you get a chance.

    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to start printing! I tried to download several of your printables and it wouldn't let me because it said the you are out of bandwidth. Do you know how long takes for it to be up again? I'll pin the things I want to print in the mean time. I LOVE your stuff and can't wait to add it to my room next year!

    Blessings,
    Marlana
    Lil' Country Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Network

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for stopping by - not sure what is going on with it, as I am able to go to the download and download it... I will investigate (so sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Kimberlee! No need to apologize, I just thought you would want to know.

    This is the message I received when I tried downloading the file.

    "The user hosting this
    content is out of bandwidth.
    If this is your file please upgrade to add more bandwidth credits to your account. Call Sales at 1-877-729-4269 for more information."

    I hope that helps.

    Blessings,
    Marlana
    Lil' Country Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Network

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks sweetie - just posted a new post about the issue & enaplained my solution... (fingers crossed...LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kimberlee,

    I just discovered your blog after seeing that you posted this writing criteria and referred to ones I posted on my blog. I finally learned how to post something for others to take for free and finally put my Writer's Checklist on my blog. Some people have checked my Writer's Checklist after seeing your post here. Thanks! I've been slow at learning how to blog and knowing how to put things on there for others. In one year I have 18 followers. Hopefully, I will be able to put on some other things soon.

    I have briefly checked out your blog and see you have a lot of great things. I am sure I will be back to read more. I joined as one of your followers last week.

    Diane
    The Teacher's Jungle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diane, it is tough getting 'seen' on here as there are so many teacher blogs. I wanted to be a little different and offer things for free. Your idea was wonderful & hopefully it will bring in some visitors to your page. Thanks so much for visiting:):)

    ReplyDelete