Subitizing Dot Circle Cards

I wanted to display my dot cards on plates, but did not want to stamp or draw them on the plates. Since I have a lot of black & white in my room, I wanted to place these on small black plates. I will post a picture of them when completed.

What are subitizing cards used for, some may ask? These cards can allow students to visualize/picture quantities in various ways, which will assist them in problem solving and number sense. All you do is flash the card for a few seconds, put it away & students will tell you what they saw. Some responses from students when showing a card with 4 dots (one on each corner) may be: "I saw four, because I saw 2 dots on one side, and 2 on the other side," or "I saw four, because I know that when there are dots on each corner there are four, just like on a die," etc. The concept is to talk about quantities and the different ways numbers can be represented. You want to refrain from telling them how many dots are on the card or only showing one way to represent a quantity. Also, include the quantity of zero (included in the set of cards)!! Children love using the dot cards!!!

You can get these here!




12 comments:

  1. Thank you! I love these and the paper plate idea. This will be a great resource as we learn to "see" quantities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! Thank you so much for sharing! :)
    Cheryl
    crayonsandcurls(at)gmail(dot)com
    Crayons and Curls

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I know exactly what plates I want to use to make this! Thank you so much!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to download this but it says flagged for copyright infringement. Please let me know if it is okay to download?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to download this but it says flagged for copyright infringement. Please let me know if it is okay to download?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous - I am not sure what the problem is, as I was able to download when logged out of the account... hmm... anyone else having issues? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much. I've just laminated them and am now looking for some cute red plated to put them into. Will be sharing them with my K tean next week. amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing these. I just made some this summer. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are going to be great for my strugglers in my Kindergarten Class. Thanks! Love putting them on plates.

    Happy New Year
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these! Thanks, they will be a great help to my struggling Kindergarteners.
    Happy New Year.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete