How to... 1st Day of School Frame

I have seen tons of these cute frames on the internet, but have not seen a "How To" do it, although it is super easy & most people could figure it out! There may already be a tutorial on this, but just in case not... here goes:
Isn't she a cutie? That's my little princess! (she will begin 1st grade this year:)

First, buy a large (CHEAP) frame - as cheap as you can find. This one was $5 at Walmart & is very sturdy. Also grab some paint, a brush/sponge if you do not have it, clear/white glitter (or your preference), and a few sheets of glitter foam.


Take the backing off and the glass (have an idea for that later ;). Then, use your fingers or pliers to remove the little pegs/metal place holders on the back (you know those things that break off eventually anyway after pictures have been changed out).

Next, I placed a trash bag on the table (as not to paint on the table). I turned to the back side of the frame to use (as this part is flat, not curved). You can use the front if you wish to do so. I painted the edges black & immediately sprinkled the glitter on (so it would stick to the drying paint). While that was drying, I drew letters onto the glitter foam and began cutting them out.
 

A little trick if you are not good with free-handing letters: choose a font on your computer that you like, write the words you need in a word document; print the letters, cut them out & use them as stencils!! I free-handed these.

Once dry, begin placing your letters where you want them (before gluing)!!!! Make sure everything will fit. I wanted to say "1st day of school - 2012" others have put the grade level. I plan to change out the 2012 each year. You also never know if you will change grade levels, so I said 'school.' (your choice)

as you can see, I use this painting mat quite frequently...lol

Now that you have everything in place, begin hot gluing your letters on your frame. THAT'S it!!!

my little model - she hasn't begun school yet, but I can also use this on her 1st day each year!!! :)

Let me know if you try it OR if you have one I would love to see what yours looks like:)


7 comments:

  1. This is so cute!! I love the glitter lettering! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I love all the glitteryness :) Thanks for the heads up on the frame..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tutorial...this is on my to do list!

    Brandi
    Success in Second Grade
    Don’t forget to check out My Summer in Pictures Linky Party

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much ladies - turned out better than I had throught :):)

    ReplyDelete